*Art Today Top Choice*:-
- ‘Matisse: In The Studio’ Exhibition – Royal Academy of Arts, W1. Until 12th Nov. The artist’s collection of artefacts & curios used as inspiration for his works, plus the paintings they featured in. [See our online feature article from 5/9/17 entitled ‘Royal Academy: Matisse ‘In The Studio’.].
- ‘Revolv Collective: Archives as Medium’ – Four Corners Gallery, E2. Until 9th Sept. An ‘interrogation’ of the notion of the archive through the use of photography, film & sculpture. Includes artist talks on 9/9/17 from 11am to 3pm, plus workshops running concurrently. Pieces by Krasimira Butseva, Laura Gowing, Vera Hadzhiyska & Lina Ivanova.
- ‘Melancolia – Jose Luis Cena’ – Sunny Art Centre, WC1X. 13th Sept, 6-9pm. PV for upcoming exhibition. Art functioning as a matrix of the melancholic feeling amongst the audience. Empathy creating nostalgia. Meet the artist (Visual Arts specialism, established Spanish fine artist).
- ‘Buildings That Fill My Eye’ – Brunei Gallery, SOAS, WC1. Until 23rd Sept. Architectural heritage of Yemen. 3 ancient Yemeni cities (Shibam, Ṣanaa and Zabid) are UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Exhibition, planned public talks & educational events exploring the astonishing variety of building styles & traditions evolving over millennia in a region of diverse terrains & extreme climates.
- Les Miller ‘Dialogues: Land & Sea’ – Eagle Gallery, EC1. 9-16th Sept. Les Miller takes over the gallery with his abstract landscapes, ‘exploring ambiguities of space and the discrepancies and uncertainties that arise from suggestion rather than description’.
- Austin Osman Spare – Viktor Wynd Museum of Curiosities, E8. Until 30th Sept. Portraiture & figurative works by occultist, accompanied by a catalogue featuring essays by Phil Baker, Dr.William Wallace & Stephen Pochin.
- Hackney Flea Market – Copeland Park & Bussey Building, SE15. 9-10th Sept, 11am – 6pm. London’s largest indoor/outdoor weekend vintage market including French salvaged home décor, textiles & vintage clothes.
- London Design Festival DIY Art Market – EPIC Dalston, N16. 17th Sept, 11am – 6pm. Art prints, ceramics, zines, risograph prints, lo-fi sculptures, screen prints & artist books. Over 80 emerging artists + more established creatives. To exhibit contact [email protected] with your website link & at least 3 jpgs.
- ‘The Iliad, by Hugh Lupton & Daniel Morden’ – British Museum, WC1B. 10th Sept, 2:30-5pm. The Greek siege and fall of Troy by Homer, performed by ‘master storytellers’ (The Guardian). Tickets £8/£6. Box Office: 020 7323 8181.
- ‘Architecture on Film: The Substance [UK Premier] + Q&A’ – Barbican Centre, EC2Y. 12th Sept, 6:45-8:45pm. Skype Q&A with Lluis Galter in conversation with Herrero Delicado (architect, writer & Architecture Programme Curator – Royal Academy of Arts).
Festivals & Fairs:-
- ‘Kirstie Allsopp’s The Handmade Fair’ – Hampton Court, KT8. 15-17th Sept. Keith Brymer Jones, Sophie Conran, Holly Tucker (Not on The High Street) & Kirstie herself. Calligraphy, wirework, machine sewing, screen printing – the very best in creative inspiration, lots of opportunities to make and buy things you didn’t know you could!
[Credits: Feature Photo – ‘Piccadilly Circus’ by Roger Turner (rogerturnerart.com); soas.ac.uk/gallery; eaglegalleryartists.co.uk; theviktorwyndmuseum.org; revolv.org.uk; sunnyartcentre.co.uk/melancolia; hackneyfleamarket.com; londondesignfestival.com; britishmuseum.org; barbican.org.uk; thehandmadefair.com; whatsoninlondon.co.uk]