Classes, Workshops and Lectures
- Paint The Classics! – The Northcote, Clapham Junction, SW11. Weekly expert-led painting classes by Artistique Paint Club, with a glass of Prosecco. 17/4/18 features The Boulevard Montmartre at Night by Camille Pissarro. Tickets £25, 8pm start.
- Cocktail Night Photography Shoot – The Madison, Rooftop Terrace, EC4. Start the evening with canapes and cocktails, followed by instruction on the best vantage points, camera tricks and light usage to create memorable images. Hosted by Nigel Wilson Photography Workshops. Tickets £85, 7pm start. (www.photographycourses.org.uk).
- Watercolour Class – The Engine Room, Lebus St, N17. Drop-in, weekly art class every Thursday (11am to 1pm) in community centre, by Joanna Pilarczyk. For beginners and intermediate artists. £8 including materials. (www.engineroom.org.uk).
Walking Tours and Excursions
- The Lost London Tour – London’s history through the eyes of old photographic evidence and newspaper articles, featuring fashionistas, divas and theatre stories. Tickets £16/£12. See lostcityoflondon.co.uk for various dates and themed tours.
- ‘The Ideas That Made Our World’ – The British Museum, Bloomsbury, WC1B. 2.5hr guided tour by an expert spanning more than 8 million artefacts. Tracing the evolution of humanity including The Rosetta Stone, the Lewis Chessmen, the Holy Thorn Reliquary and the Elgin Marbles. Tickets £20. Every Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Book at getyourguide.com.
- Paris Art Trip – from St Pancras Station. Take in various tourist attractions (Champs Elysees), sites of architectural beauty (Opera House) and museums (Louvre). Coach travel, plus Champagne Lunch, Eiffel Tower visit and Seine River Cruise. Tickets £245 – £395, 18/4/18 6am start. (By Premium Tours, www.tripadvisor.co.uk).
- Tomo Campbell|There – Cob Studios & Gallery, Royal College Street, NW1. Focussing on motion and activity, the artist uses a variety of subject matter to explore disorientation, pleasure and wit. From 11/4/18, 6pm – 9pm. (www.cobgallery.com).
- The F Word – Doomed Gallery, Dalston, E8. Including speakers, films, DJs, merchandise and refreshments. Fundraising raffle featuring prizes from Tate Modern, Ronnie Scott’s, Picturehouse and Tate Britain, in aid of Refuge (campaigning against domestic violence). Curated by Lauren Ainley. [Call 0808 2000 247 for National Domestic Violence Helpline.]. 12/4/18, 6pm to 9pm. (www.doomedgallery.tumblr.com).
- Exhibition Preview: Hamed Abdalla, ‘Arabecedaire’ – The Mosaic Rooms, Tower House, SW5. Influential, Egyptian, modernist painter, explored through his extensive archives to show him both as an artist and researcher. His first exhibition in the UK. 12/4/18, 6.30pm start. (www.mosaicrooms.org).
- John Chamberlain: Entirely Fearless – Gagosian Gallery, Davies Street, W1K. Metal sculpture exhibition organised in collaboration with his estate. His first exhibition since 2011. 16/3/18, 6pm to 8pm. (www.gagosian.com).
Festivals and Fairs
- Holi Festival of Colours – Wembley Park. Celebrate the coming of a new season with vibrant dance and an eruption of colour! Last year over 12,000 participants became part of a ‘kaleidoscopic sea of colour’ during the Hindu start of the New Year. This year promises to be even better. Tickets on sale now for 28/7/18 event. (See holifestival.com for details.).
- Roy’s People Art Fair, London – Bargehouse, OXO Tower Wharf, SE1. Artist-led fair giving artists an alternative platform to exhibit their work. Live painting, bag printing, letter press printing, plus meet the carefully-selected artists themselves! 12th April, 6pm start, until 15th April, 5pm. (www.royspeopleartfair.com).
- East London Vintage Furniture Flea Market – York Hall, Bethnal Green, E2. Voted ‘Best Fair’ by Vintage Guide to London. From atomic prints to figurines, soft-furnishings to tableware, this is the place to come for retro interior design. 15/4/19, 10.30am start. (www.judysvintagefair.co.uk).
[Credits: Feature image – Tomo Campbell (i-d.vice.com); thenorthcote.co.uk; photographycourses.org.uk; engineroom.org.uk; lostcityoflondon.co.uk; getyourguide.com; tripadvisor.co.uk; cobgallery.com; doomedgallery.tumblr.com; refuge.org.uk; mosaicrooms.org; gagosian.com; holifestival.com; wembleypark.com; royspeopleartfair.com; judysvintagefair.co.uk]